What can be done in order to improve ICL in future?

Thursday, December 27, 2007

DIARY

I love making people smile: Whitney

He is the most hilarious man in the cricketing fraternity today and is the face of the ICL broadcasting crew. Mike has been going around the ground here at the Tau Devi Lal Stadium, interviewing players, fans, everyone else involved with the ICL – making them laugh in the process of course!

“I don’t mind getting in amongst the crowd, meeting people and having a lot of fun. I find India a very interesting place to be in. I find a lot of material here that I can have fun with. The people get really involved and everything is really exciting here.” Another of his exploits has been to roar along with the winning team at the end of every contest at the presentation ceremony.


“I have not been a part of any cricket broadcasting for a number of years now. This (ICL) is my first cricketing event since 1995,” says Whitney. He loves doing creative stuff which he claims not many others attempt. Like the other day, he wore the traditional Punjabi outfit and ‘did the banghra’ with the crew here. He says that “it is good when you laugh at yourself, because it brings a smile to others in the process.”

“Dean Jones rang me 6 or 7 weeks ago and said that we are sitting down and putting a commentary team. A couple of years ago I played in the world cup of Golfing cricketers. Kapil wanted me to come on board here and it has been a lot of fun.”


“There is too much of hate, anger, chaos and depression all over the television. My motive is to make people laugh and if I manage to do that, I feel I am doing my job.”
Whitney admitted that he was an aggressive bowler and had toned down a lot after hanging his boots from the sport. He gives viewers of the ICL more reasons to get glued to their television sets and it is almost impossible to imagine the telecast in the absence of his presence.


No comments: